These pistachio cookies have been in my recipe book for 20+ years. This is one of those Italian cookie recipes that doesn't start off so traditional. These are such easy to make cookies because... brace yourself - here's the secret ingredient - they use pistachio instant pudding.
My oldest daughter, Natalie used to have me make these for holidays or when she was coming home. So, I pretty much said "yes" anytime she asked.
If you don't want to use pistachios - that's OK. Pecans will work fine. And they are cheaper. There's other ideas and a substitution section below.
I usually make these cookies during the holiday season. But using different cookie cutter can make them be an-any-occasion-cookie. If this wasn't the type of pistachio dessert recipe you were looking for - I do have a pistachio cake recipe . And while you are here check out my home page of Italian Dessert Recipes .
Thanks for stopping by! And happy baking ~
* 3 sticks of butter!
* 2 packages of pistachio instant pudding
* 2 1/4 Cups flour
* 2/3 cup chopped pistachios (see substitution below)
* (colored sugar as an option to press or roll in)
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees
* Let butter come to room temperature
* Cream the butter with the pudding
* Stir in the flour and nuts.
* Roll into SMALL balls
* Flatten with a glass dipped in the colored sugar
- or -
* Flatten with a glass dipped in colored and cut with a shaped cookie cutter.
* Bake for
I have used pecans. And I have used walnuts. They come out great either way. They will still taste like pistachio cookies because of the pudding.
I'm definitely NOT a margarine lover for anything. I may only have half a dozen Italian Dessert Recipes that use it. And I think maybe one or two are in my Italian Cookie Recipes where it's permissible. With that being said - you "could" use maybe half margarine in this recipe. But the flavor really is better with butter.
Back to the top of the pistachio cookies.