This almond cookie recipe is one of those popular Italian cookie recipes . My great grandma used to make these we called them jelly cookies. Other people refer to them as thumbprint cookies.
You press your thumb into the middle of the cookie dough, get an indentation, them plop in whatever you want. (Now you can see why they are also called thumbprint cookies.) You can swap out the candied cherries for a million other things. See the ideas in the substitutions and FAQs below.
My great grandma (the one I'm named after, Marietta) would always have these on her holiday cookie tray. Sadly, I never got the recipe. BUT weirdly enough (not sure if weirdly is a word) I found this poking around the net and of all places it was in the Southern Foods section ( *gasp* ) of about.com . I never would have guessed. It's kinda sad I don't have one in her handwriting - but I will be thankful for all the ones I do have.
If this isn't the kind of almond cookie recipe you were thinking of I have a couple others that almond cookie variations:
Thank you for visiting ~
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 2 eggs, separated
* 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 cup sliced almonds
* 12 to 15 candied red and green cherries, halved
* Cream the butter and sugar.
* Add the egg yolks and extracts and beat until fluffy.
* Stir in about half the flour
* Add the milk then beat well.
* Stir in the remaining flour and knead just until blended in.
* Shape into small balls, roll in lightly beaten egg whites, then in the almonds.
* Place on greased baking sheets make and indentation in the middle of each ball with your thumb - don't press the cookie flat though!
* Press a half cherry (or fill with jelly) into the center of each ball.
* Bake for about or less. Check for brown on the bottom.
* Cool on rack.
A lot of things
Don't! Margarine won't cook the same. And I guarantee the rest of us will be disappointed in the taste. Margarine just tastes nasty.
Back to the Almond Cookie Recipe
# 3 Pizzelle Recipe