This lemon shortbread recipe is one of many lemon dessert recipes I have on my site. By lemon desserts, I mean REAL lemons. Not made with lemon extract or lemon in a bottle.
I realize this isn't considered one of those authentic Italian cookie recipes. But I love shortbread. Have since I was a kid. And I have this recipe in a little cookie cook book - but now I'm getting to where I want access online. So *poof* I decided to post it here.
You can make these with or without the glaze. Fair warning - if you choose to put the glaze on it will bite ya ~ so it's an optional thing. I add the glaze when I'm giving these for gifts or want the "pretties" because I'm looking for a little impression.
If this wasn't the type of cookie you were looking for - check out my Italian cookie recipes page.
Thanks for stopping by and happy cookie baking -
* 2 cups butter (softened)
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup lemon juice (real lemon - no plastic bottles allowed!)
* 4 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
* 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* Glaze INGREDIENTS
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* 2 tablespoons softened
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel for garnish
* Heat oven to 350 degrees.
* Combine all shortbread ingredients except flour in large bowl.
* Keep combining until the mixture is creamy.
* Add flour and beat until it's coarse and crumble-y like.
* Press the dough into 15x10x1 jelly-roll pan. (I don't grease - but every pan is different)
* Bake for 30 to or until light golden brown.
* Cool completely.
* Combine all glaze ingredients in small bowl (again - no plastic lemon bottle)
* Whisk until all the lumps are gone.
* Spread thin layer of glaze over cooled shortbread - sprinkle with garnish
* Before you cut - make sure the pan is COMPLETELY cooled.
* Cut into strips or squares.
Yep. Really. They aren't that hard to find. They aren't so expensive they break the bank. And the difference between real and "plastic lemon bottles" is amazing!
That would be perfectly fine too. I would say - cook a tad more so that they are golden and slightly more firm.
Back to the top of the lemon shortbread recipe page.