These really aren't considered a standard in Italian Dessert Recipes but when my mom wasn't preaching the sugar-is-bad-for-you sermon, she would bake American type desserts.
Perhaps my non-Italian-health-goddess-hippie mom felt squeezing the lemons was in some way redeeming. Somehow my Italian grandma definitely blessed it along the way and requested it often! Truth be told - there is NOTHING secret or etnically branded in this recipe. It's everywhere! One item though - we cut them into squares. (Thus " lemon squares ") And that's only because my mom wanted us to have smaller portions - afraid our teeth would fall out and we'd bounce through the house and shatter some hanging macrame table with the burning incense on a sugar high.
If this wasn't the type of Lemon Squares Recipe you were looking for - see my lemon dessert recipes .
Hope you enjoy this good old fashioned stand-by recipe. Thanks for stopping by -
* 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 cup butter, melted
* 4 eggs
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 cup flour
* 5/8 cup lemon juice (REAL lemons - seriously!)
* Grease pan set aside
* Stir together flour and confectioners' sugar
* Blend in the melted butter
* Press into the bottom of the prepared pan
* Bake for 15 minutes (or until golden)
* Beat the eggs until light
* Combine the sugar, flour and baking powder until all the lumps are gone
* Blend the sugar mixture into the eggs
* Add the lemon juice.
* Pour over the crust - the one you just prepared
* Return the dish to the over
* Bake for an additional (or until bars don't jiggle)
* Totally cool the bars before you cut them (or you will be really mad at yourself!)
Yeah, kinda. Really don't be a boring cook. The flavor from the real lemons is a "gotta".
Sure, but the bottom won't be as firm. Won't hurt though. But you will probably need a fork to eat them with.
Back to the top of the Lemon Squares Recipe