This baked apple recipe is part of my apple dessert recipes collections. It's super easy and has always been one of my favorites. I read somewhere that the average American eats about 16 pounds of apples per year. Really? I think the true lovers of apple dessert recipes eat tons more! (Me!)
This is one of those fruit dessert recipes that has flexibility. My next door neighbor, Betty Crocker (not really a neighbor) suggests these apple types for baking:
But I want to add to Betty's list, my favorite apple to bake with:
Even though Granny's are my fav to bake with. I like to bake some red - just for presentation. It makes the kids think they are getting something so much more decadent and unhealthy. And the fact is, there's not too much *junk* in these.
Generally people ask about the anise in this recipe. And you don't have to use it. It's just an Italian thing. We will pop it in many of our Italian dessert recipes. But if it scares you - skip it.
You can see measurements and substitution ideas in the FAQs below.
Thank you for stopping by! Apples are an awesome dessert to bake with. If you have extras check out my apple dessert recipes page.
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 cup raisins
* 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
* 1/8 teaspoon anise (don't panic - see substitution ideas)
* 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon allspice (ground)
* 1/8 teaspoon cloves (ground)
* 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon of butter per apple
* Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
* Pare a 1 inch strip of skin from around the middle of each apple.
* Pare upper half of each apple.
* Use an apple slicer/corer.(see why below)
* Mix spices and brown sugar together.
* Coat raisins and walnuts with the spice mixture.
* Put apples in UNGREASED baking dish.
* Push raisin-spice-nut mixture tightly packed in center of each apple.
If there is leftover, mound it over the top.
* Place 1 tsp of butter on top of each apple.
* Pour 1/4 inch of water in baking dish.
* Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Check at and begin spooning melted spicy butter sugary syrup that's sitting in the bottom of the baking dish - over the top of the apples.
Yup. Skip whatever ones you want. Just be sure you have a ratio of two teaspoons of spices. So heck, if you only want cinnamon - then do two teaspoons of cinnamon and that's it! You're the cook and the boss - YOU DECIDE!
Peeling around the top or the middle prevents the apple from splitting. I use the apple/peeler/slicer gadget. Just my choice. But, yeah sorry. I know it's extra *work*. But if you want crappy desserts that are made quick, just go to some franchised restaurant. That's why I didn't put this in my easy Italian dessert recipes page. The prep takes a little bit of time.
I like something firm in the center of my apple. You can leave them out if you wish and just use the spices. Or you can just use one or the other.
Really - for any baked apple recipe you just want to go for firm. I've just had luck with the ones listed and Betty Crocker says so, too.
Back to the top of the baked apple recipe
#2Italian Rum Cake Recipe