This chocolate sour cream frosting is one of 9 cake frosting recipes I use for the Italian cakes I have on this site. I use this on my Chocolate Amaretto Cake for sure. And there's a couple of others. But heck, its a frosting, use it on whatever you wish! (Graham crackers are a great work around for me when I don't have a fresh baked goodie in the house!)
The amaretto is optional. Amaretto is an Italian liqueur and we use it tons of Italian drinks. And I even have a whole section dedicated to amaretto recipes if you don't drink through the bottle having after dinner drinks. Or before dinner drinks. Or middle of the day drinks. Or....
So, the amaretto is optional. Obviously the sour cream isn't - since that's specifically what this frosting is about. I've answered a few questions in the section below.
Thanks for stopping by. And happy baking!
* 1 - 2 tablespoons amaretto (optional)
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter
* 1/4 cup whipping cream
* 2/3 cup sour cream
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* 2 cups semisweet/bittersweet chocolate chips
* Combine butter and cream in medium saucepan.
* Put burner on medium low and stir until the mixture comes to simmer.
* Remove from heat.
* Add 2 cups chocolate chips and whisk until melted.
* Mix in the amaretto.
* Cool approx 5 minutes.
* Whisk in sour cream and the powdered sugar.
* Make sure and get rid of all lumps!
* I usually find I don't have to put this in the fridge to spread. I pour it on my cake and it firms rather fast.
* Although this is quick to fix, I'd set aside so that you have cooling time after you spread it.
It's not curdled for me. BUT I stand there and stir AND my burner isn't too high either.
Sure! BUT the added fat in the cream really makes this have that decadent texture and taste. But milk can work.
Back to the top of the chocolate sour cream frosting
#2Italian Rum Cake Recipe