Chocolate Tart Recipe
"Amaretto flavored crust and amaretto chocolate filling!"
I found this chocolate tart recipe in the same "blue-haired-twenty-plus-year-old-cookbook" where I found the chocolate cookie bars. My dusty treasure of a cookbook. Our friends invited us to dinner. They requested we bring a "small chocolate dessert". I had NO idea what that meant. A Hershey's Kiss? Or was this a request for something other than a HUGE 4 layer chocolate torte?
Although I would have loved to remake the simple Chocolate Torte Recipe, I thought putting these in the small tart pans made this a "small chocolate dessert."
This chocolate tart recipe is for a standard tart pan. But it turned out perfect in the little tart pans. I got 7 tarts from it.
If you don't have amaretto - no worries! And if you are thinking of buying some - GO! We use amaretto A LOT in Italian Dessert Recipes. I listed other Italian cakes and Italian cookie recipes that use amaretto (see the substitutions section below.)
Chocolate Tart Recipe
Amaretto Crust and Cream
YIELD: One 9 inch tart
Crust: * 1/4 cup unsalted butter cut into cubes
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 cup of finely ground almonds
* 1/2 cup of flour
* 1 Tbsp Amaretto
* 3 Tbsp of flour
* 1/2 cup sugar
* dash salt
* 1 cup scalded milk
* 1 ounce UNsweetened chocolate, melted
* 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
* 1 Tbsp butter
* 1 Tbsp amaretto
Garnish:(fancy word for the whipped cream part)
* 1/2 whipping cream
* 2 Tbsp sugar
* 1 Tbsp Amaretto
* 2 ounces semi-sweetchocolate
* Cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
* Add the nuts and flour - mix well.
* Add amaretto and mix until the dough forms a ball.
* Press the dough evenly into the tart pan.
* Allow the dough to rest in the freezer for 30 mins, or the 'fridge for 1 hour.
* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the tart shell on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 mins. Or until golden.
* Cool for about 5 minutes then remove the rim and cool the shell completely on the rack.
* Mix the flour, sugar and salt.
* Gradually add the milk and chocolate and heat over moderate heat until the mixture reaches a boil, stirring constantly.
* Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from heat
* Add the egg yolks, then return to heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
* Cool slightly and add butter and liqueur.
* Pour into tart shell and cool
* 1/2 cup of whipping cream
* 2 Tbsp of sugar
* 1 Tbsp. Amaretto
Can I omit the ground almonds?
Not really. That is what set this chocolate tart recipe apart from the normal "tarts" - the ground almonds. It gives this tart that distinct flavor that Italian dessert recipes have.
What other recipes use amaretto?
On this site:
If I don't use amaretto, what else can I use?
Memorial Day and Warmer Weather Treats!
It's finally warming up! In my neck of the woods we had SNOW on May 2nd. Now were on to the warm weather sweet treats!
I started celebrating by having a Sangria last night. Sangria is so easy to make - and the trick to making it spectacular is - following the super easy procedure. IF you need a brush up see:
How to Make Sangria
As for Memorial Day Goodies - I bake the LESS sticky stuff if I have to travel. And something that the kids can grab with their fingers as they cruise by the dessert table and run off to their next game. Cookies and brownies work the best for this!
The past month, these are my top five most viewed cookie recipes:
#1 Anisette Cookies
#2 Italian Wedding Cookie Recipe
#3 Pizzelle Recipe
#4 Ricotta Cheese Cookies
#5 Meringue Cookie Recipe
Have a fun filled Memorial Day!
Would you like to share this page? You know how to do it! Thanks for sharing the sugar love!
Enjoy This Site?
Keep checking back!
I update at least once a week.
Recipes on this site are from family cookbooks, family traditions, or intentional adaptations from traditional recipes to add an Italian flair. If a recipe was adapted or used from another cook - it is mentioned on the recipe page and the recipe author is given credit.