This coffee frosting is part of my can be made with real coffee or cake frosting recipes. You can use instant espresso powder or really strong coffee to get that flavor.
I'm sure you have something in mind to use this frosting for. But if you don't this coffee frosting tops well with a couple of my non-traditional Italian cakes I have on my site :
And if you are hesitant to buy instant espresso powder because you don't know what else to use it in - I have a whole page dedicated to coffee dessert recipes. And those recipes use it.
Don't get all hung up on the espresso powder. You can use super strong coffee. Or coffee crystals. I walk you through that in the section below.
So where can you get espresso powder? You can order it online. If you live close to a Dean and DeLuca, that's where I get mine. Too, some of the coffee houses "may" carry it. ( But I know Starbucks doesn't - check any of the others.)
Owner and Creator of Italian Dessert RecipesFollow Me On Facebook! And Pinterest :-)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder ( see substitution idea if you don't want to use instant espresso)
* 9 Tablespoons (4 1/2 ozs) of UNSALTED butter
* 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
* 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract ( see substitution idea below)
* 2 tsp of milk
* Warm the milk and dissolve the espresso in warm milk.
* Beat butter and powdered sugar until pale and creamy.
* Add vanilla and coffee mixture. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
* Spread over cooled cake or cookies.
* This is even a nice quick fix to spread on graham crackers. I mean tops, it might take you 10 minutes to make and maybe to cool.
Use 3 tsp and it would be OK.
Well, I'm sure the coffee house pros can explain it in detail, if you wish. But when an espresso bean is roasted - it turns out dark and oily. A coffee bean doesn't. However, we are just looking for a coffee flavored frosting. We're not trying to be food snobs and I'm sure no one is going to beat you over the head if you use instant coffee or instant espresso.
Back to the top of this coffee frosting.
#2Italian Rum Cake Recipe