To make the best tiramisu recipe (ever) - it's more about following the process. And these are the three little pieces you can't skip:
For years I wouldn't even dream of making tiramisu. I was really chicken to try. But fate intervened and in my late 40's I married a wonderful man (after 9 years of being a single parent). But you want to know the first birthday cake he ever asked me to make? You guessed it! The one I was afraid the most! Tiramisu!
What was I gonna say!? I'm Italian. I'm supposed to know how to make one of the most popular Italian Cakes - in the history of EVER!
Well we're still blissfully married. The cake was/is awesome! It truly is the best tiramisu recipe !
Lady fingers usually are a big stopping point. BUT don't let them be. If your store doesn't have them - I have a very easy Lady Fingers Recipe . You don't have to make them *pretty*. They get covered up! So don't be shy to try.
So to make your tiramisu better than Olive Garden (really) don't experiment too much with ingredients AND follow the procedures like your life depended on it.
If this wasn't the type of recipe you were looking for check out my home page of Italian Dessert Recipes . There a few questions and substitutions below . And there's a list of all the Italian Cakes I have on my site.
Thanks for stopping by!
* 6 egg yolks
* 1 1/4 cups white sugar
* 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
* 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
* 2 (3 ounce) packages lady fingers (approx 24 lady fingers total)
* 1/3 cup Kahlua
* 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (dust)
* 1 (1 ounce) square semi sweet chocolate (shaved)
***To start I chill the bowl I will be whipping the cream in. So stick that bowl in the refridgerator***
* Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler, boil water and place another pan on top.
* Reduce heat to low.
* Stir the egg yolks and sugar for about 10 minutes and don't go anywhere! This is to coddle the egg so that you are not eating raw eggs. The yolk will not cook hard. That's not the goal. This is just coddling.
* After 10 minutes of stirring remove the mixture from heat. Let it cool for a bit and then take a beater and whip the yolk/sugar mixture until its thick.
* Add the mascarpone to the whipped yolk-sugar mixture.
* Blend well.
* Take your chilled bowl out of fridge. Whip the whipping cream until the stiff peaks are formed.
* Gently fold into yolk-sugar mixture and set aside.
* Split the lady fingers in half.
* Line the bottom and sides of your serving bowl with the lady fingers.
* Brush the lady fingers with the kahlua (see substitutions).
* Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers.
* Now you are going to layer - using lady fingers, kahlua and filling.
* Keep going till you run out of lady fingers. (Click here for the Lady Fingers Recipe if you aren't using store bought)
* The top layer of filling is finished off with cocoa or chocolate curls. (Or both!)
* Total time to make this (not including the Lady Fingers if you bake them) would take you about .
BIG TIP: Refrigerate several hours or overnight! (Really)
Try the following:
It truly doesn't matter. As long as you let the dish soak and sit for at least a half day you will be fine - EVEN if it's a single layer.
Not really if you want the best flavors and an authentic tiramisu. So - set aside some time to do this. You will love what you get!
In the International food section of your grocery store. And that depends on the area of your country and availability. But don't worry about it if you can't find them. These are so easy to make. You don't have to make them look pretty. They get covered up! Click here to see my Lady Fingers Recipe.
Ooooh, not really. Mascarpone isn't that easy to just swap out for another cheese. Since I'm sticking with keeping this authentic and keeping it where I know it works - (that's how I know this really is the best tiramisu recipe ever) I gotta say no. Sorry. I know you are looking for a way to keep it real and get the best tiramisu recipe around. But swapping this out just won't get you there.
Back to the top of the Best Tiramisu Recipe
#2Italian Rum Cake Recipe