This brown sugar cookie recipe is one of those easy drop cookie recipes . You know the type of recipe that you mix, drop and plop them on the cookie sheet. No rolling. No shaping.
My grandma gave me this recipe even though it isn't what you would typically find in an collection, and although it Italian cookie recipes collection. I actually didn't find the recipe until after she passed. I was hunting through her recipe tin that she put together in 1932 when her and my papa married.
When I found the recipe, I thought, why not make it? I do have to say this brown sugar cookie recipe is more about the golden glow rum butter frosting. It kinda seals the deal. Makes it marry up to the cookie. But you don't have to add the frosting if you don't want.
Thanks for stopping by -
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup butter shortening (yes, you read right - "shortening")
* 1/4 cup buttermilk or water (yes, I have used water and it turns out ok)
* 1 large egg
* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* Golden Glow Rum Butter Frosting (see below)
* Mix brown sugar, shortening, and buttermilk, and egg.
* Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.
* Cover dough and stick it in the 'fridge for a bit.
* Heat oven to 400. (Yep, that is 400 degrees!)
* Drop dough by rounded teaspoonsful about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
* Bake until almost no indentation when you touch it. About 8-.
* Immediately remove. Let cool. Then frost.
* 1/2 cup of butter
* 3 cups powdered sugar
* enough rum to make spreadable (about 1/3 cup)
* Place the butter in small pan over low heat.
* Wait until butter bubbles and begins to brown.
* Stir while browning to keep from scorching.
* Once golden remove from heat
* Add powdered sugar and mix.
* Add rum.
* Lick fingers and frost cookies.
* And have a rum and coke.
First off let me BOLDY state - I HATE SHORTENING! That is one reason why I mentioned this cookie is bland - shortening. But to come to my own soapbox defense, here's why you need the shortening, to get the lift on the cookie. So, yes you "can" use butter but your cookies will spread.
So, you may not frost these, right? You are wanting to focus on just the brown sugar cookie recipe part, right? Okay, then I would highly suggest using butter flavored Crisco. If you stay with the "normal" Crisco or shortening - these just won't have enough flavor.
Here's some options:
Back to the Brown Sugar Cookie Recipe
# 3 Pizzelle Recipe