These sour cream cookies are not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Italian cookie recipes. And I will admit - these are not. But, I have this really awesome little cookie cook book I picked up in Wal Mart about 20+ years ago. It seems like NO cookie recipe in that tastes bad!
This is basically a sugar cookie in texture and flavor - with a little hit of sour cream and smidge of cinnamon. When you think of sour cream cookies you are probably thinking really tangy. And I don't want to lead you astray - these aren't a tangy cookie. Matter fact, I could use more tang, but I'm afraid if I mess with the sour cream I'll throw the whole cookie off.
If you want to check out my caramel cookie recipe it calls for a bit more sour cream - but it's a puffy cookie and also has a nutty caramel overtone.
I answer a few FAQs and talk about the few substitutions in the section below. And if this is totally NOT even close to what you were looking for scroll below and you can see all the cookie recipes I have on my site. Just click on the photo and it will take you to the recipe.
Thanks for stopping by -
* 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
* 1/2 cup of sugar
* 2 tablespoons sour cream
* 1 large egg yolk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 1/2 cups of flour
* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees
* Cream butter, sugar, and sour cream in large bowl.
* Beat in egg yolk and then vanilla.
* Add remaining ingredients just until combined.
* Throw the dough in the fridge while you clean up. It won't need long to chill. Especially if you sandwich between two pieces of wax paper!
* Roll dough until 1/4 inch thick.
* Cut into desired shape with cookie cutters.
* Place 1 inch apart on UNGREASED cookie sheet. Sprinkle tops with sugar if you wish.
* Bake for -10 minutes. JUST UNTIL set and edges are lightly golden.
Recipe found in All The Best Cookies by Joie Warner
You *can*, but your cookie will puff instead of getting that flaky buttery sugar cookie. AND if you do sub this out - do know your flavor will really really really be bland.
Nothing. They just taste incredibly boring.
Back to the top of this Sour Cream Cookies