These chewy ginger cookies are not what you would find in a traditional Italian cookie recipes section. I know that. But I do bake other goodies too. And I LOVE these cookies. They taste like a Ginger Snap, but they are chewy.
These are one of those drop cookie recipes where you scoop drop plop and bake. These are a quick bake when you need a homemade goodie that doesn't taste like everyone elses. So if you are looking for something to take to a potluck, a picnic, a family get together - and you are strapping for ideas and want to be "original" these are a good call.
I ran across this recipe when I was invited to Kansas City Food Bloggers Cookie Exchange in 2010. One of the blogger-gals baked these. They were my favorite cookie even among all the fancy pants cookies. I love the chewy texture.
Here's the odd thing for me, I'm actually promoting the fact these use Crisco. I will openly admit I HATE Crisco or any shortening for that matter. But Crisco is what makes them chewy. AND you can buy the butter flavored Crisco - which really helps the flavor! Yes, I break my own rules when I bake these.
I've got some substitution ideas below.
If this wasn't the type of cookie you were looking for - scroll below to my photo gallery and you can see all the Italian cookie recipes I have on my site.
Thanks for stopping by -
* 3/4 cup butter flavored Crisco ( I know I rarely use shortening - but see why below)
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup light molasses (dark would be ok too)
* 1 egg
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 pinch of anise powder (optional)
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* Cream shortening and sugar.
* Add egg and beat until fluffy. Stir in molasses and mix well.
* Sift all dry ingredients. Then add to molasses mixture. Mix well.
* Using a cookie scoop (or melon baller), scoop dough on to cookie sheets and bake for (exactly).
* Remove from baking sheet and cool.
* You can also roll the balls in sugar for added flavor.
Yeah, it's the ginger cinnamon combo you are looking for in the flavor. And I too was a little leary when I began - I was thinking of nutmeg, all spice, maybe pumpkin spice - but no she did this recipe well. It's really a nice cookie.
The deal with these cookies is they are "chewy" ginger cookies - not ginger "snaps". Butter would make them more "snappish". The Crisco lends to the chewy-ness.
Back to the top of the chewy ginger cookies page.