This coconut frosting is part of my cake frosting recipes collection. I originally made it for my coconut layer cake . After posting I realized this would go well as a frosting on my lemon layer cake too. (We use coconut quite a bit in our Italian dessert recipes.)
The frosting is no complex recipe. I was making a coconut layer cake for my step-sons 11th birthday. He was very intent on the word "layer" and very focused on "a lot of coconut".
I took a simple butter and cream cheese mix and just used coconut extract as flavoring. *Poof* Happy 11 year old. Ok, I was really pleased too. If you don't have coconut extract see the substitution section below for ideas. And I have a photo gallery of all the frosting recipes I have on my site. That is right next to the recipe.
Thanks for stopping by -
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
* 8 ounces cream cheese
* 1 teaspoon coconut extract
* 4 1/2 -5 cups confectioner's sugar
* 1 bag of coconut (optional)
* Let butter and cream cheese soften to room temp
* Cream both of them together along with the extract or your option see below .
* Gradually add in the powdered sugar
* You may find the frosting too soft to ice right away - so stick it in the fridge about 10 minutes. OR you can frost the top and let the frosting slide down the sides - and patch in before serving.
* I'd give yourself about leeway time just to be safe.
It's more for looks. It won't take away from the flavor of the icing. It's just and extra add-on for impression or "pretties". You can do a couple of things here: .
I can't say I had coconut extract on hand before my step-son's birthday - but I had Malibu Rum! You could use it but watch the moisture level when adding it. The thing is - this is a common flavoring/extract. It's not that tough to find. :-) One other thought is coconut milk. I've known a couple people to have this in their pantry because they cook Thai food every now and then. The good news is - this isn't a hard extract or flavoring to find.
Back to the top of the coconut frosting
#2Italian Rum Cake Recipe