This chocolate amaretto cakee is part of my amaretto recipes collection. It's one of my secret little box cake mix recipes. It just starts there, and then you add a lil bit of this and some of that - and finish it off with my Amaretto Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting .
I know, I know - I KNOW...what are doing using a cake mix?!?! I would run from this recipe too, IF my grandma hadn't used basically the same ratios for her Italian rum cake recipe.
She cooked that recipe for thirty years. And it was her who convinced me, "There's nothing wrong with cake mixes." Of course she was close to 80 when she told me that! And too, I'm not so sure she would have said that in her younger years! But both - this recipe and the Italian rum cake recipe are AWESOME!
If you are looking for an "amaretto" something - and just can't quite figure out exactly what - these are the other Amaretto Cakes Candy and Cookies I have on my site, again those are in my amaretto recipes collection.
Thanks for stopping by and enjoy sugar - today, tomorrow, and always. Because as my grandma used to tell me, "Everybody needs a little bit of sugar" ~
Owner and Creator of Italian Dessert RecipesFollow Me On Facebook! And Pinterest :-)
* 1 box chocolate cake mix (this is an 18.25-ounce package in the USA)
* 1 1/3 cups water
* 3 large eggs
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (see below)
* 2 tablespoons amaretto
* 1 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
* 1 - 2 tablespoons amaretto
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter
* 1/4 cup whipping cream
* 2/3 cup sour cream
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* 2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
* Combine cake mix, water, eggs, oil, and just 3 tablespoons amaretto, in large bowl.
* Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
* Pour into a greased bundt pan.
* Bake approx 35 -.
* While cake is warm - brush with about 1/4 cup of amaretto.
* Prepare frosting while cake cools completely.
* Combine butter and cream in medium saucepan.
* Stir over medium-low heat until butter melts and mixture comes to simmer.
* Remove from heat.
* Add remaining 2 cups chocolate chips and whisk until melted.
* Add the 1-2 tablespoons amaretto.
* Cool a tad. About 5 minutes.
* Whisk in sour cream and powdered sugar.
* Stick the frosting in the fridge - and wait till it's thick enough to spread. Kinda whip/whisk it a bit and in about 15 minutes ( give or take) you can spread it.
I found this chocolate amaretto cake in a Bon Apetit issue. I did modify the amaretto because they called for almond extract (in everything). But to the point, they originally had this as a 3 layer cake. I wasn't serving company and trying to make a big presentation. It was just us. My family. So I used a Bundt pan. Here's their directions for a layered cake tho:
If you can't take the vegetable oil - use butter. Your cake will be more dense. But really, I can assure you as a butter-only advocate, I deviate on a few recipes - and this one is ok with the oil.
If I wasn't dealing with nut-haters in my house, I'd press about 2 cups of ( my favorites!) sliced almonds to the frosting.
Back to the top of the chocolate amaretto cake recipe