This lemon sauce recipe is fresh fantastic and relatively easy. If you are looking for a way to use lemons I have 12 additional lemon dessert recipes on my site. You can see those desserts in my photo gallery below - right next to this recipe.
There are several of my Italian cakes that work real well with this sauce. They are:
I answered a couple of questions about this sauce in the section below.
Thank you for stopping by and happy sauce making -
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* a dash salt
* 1 cup boiling water
* 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
* Juice 1 lemon - you want about 2 -3 tablespoons (this doesn't have to be exact)
* In a sauce pan combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
* Blend it real well.
* Stir in the boiling water.
* Over medium heat and cook this and stay there to stir it constantly.
* Once it begins to boil turn the heat down so it can simmer for 5 minutes.
* Remove from heat and add the lemon zest and the fresh lemon juice.
* Total time to do this shouldn't be more than . A little longer if you want the sauce cooled.
I'm a fake-plastic-bottle-hater of the lemon. I even hated the flavor of that lemon-looking thing when I was a kid. This really needs the fresh lemon flavor. Just take the time and do it. You will never regret it.
I wanted to give one last tip about "zesting". When you go to zest, don't dig down too deep. If you do you get what's called the "pith". And the "pith" is nasty bitter. You want to just shave off the yellow part of the peel. This will have that nice tart lemon-y flavor without getting that nasty bitter bite of the pith.
Back to the top of the lemon sauce recipe.
#2Italian Rum Cake Recipe